Part 4 in a 5 part series - Improving the Quality of Chronic Oral Anticoagulation with Evidence-Based Guidelines.
To pick up where we left off on part 3, let’s review a few priority key features of an EHR that can advance chronic oral anticoagulant care as outlined by the EHR Task Force Consensus Group.
Key features depicted in Figure 1 include:
- patient level demographic data
- treatment data including the indications for anticoagulant therapy
- for those on warfarin, the target INR intensity and start date
- recommended duration
- tablet strength of warfarin
- risk factors for bleeding and thrombosis
- main route and frequency of administration of anticoagulants or other drugs
- importance of communications both from provider to patient, but also from patient back to provider